Our Tryout Process
A Guide to LVC Tryouts!
2019 Tryouts dates will be posted in August!
See Tryout Schedule for dates and locations.
To sign up, log into your Fire-ID by clicking "Sign In"!
OVA's Tryout Window Policy
The 2019/2020 Ontario Volleyball Association (OVA) season will mark the seventh season that the Tryout Window Policy has been in effect in Ontario. Our Club is a proponent of the policy as we strongly believe that athletes and their families should be evaluating the long-term benefits that each Club can offer their young athlete.
We encourage all athletes and their families to review and inform themselves on the OVA's Tryout Window Policy at www.ontariovolleyball.org
Athletes will be selected to LVC teams based on the following criteria:
- PHYSICAL - Ability to meet certain standards in the following physical indicators: height, vertical jump, speed, functional strength and mobility, agility.
- INDIVIDUAL SKILL - Ability to consistently apply the six (6) major skills while limiting errors during competition in training and during official matches. The six (6) major skills are: Ball control including serve receiving, Setting, Attacking, Blocking, Defending, Serving.
- TACTICAL - Ability to read the play and make proper decisions on court. Ability to utilize information provided by the coaching staff and relate it to individual or team performance. o Ability to effectively communicate during matches.
- BEHAVIOURAL - Demonstrates qualities conducive to individual improvement such as: self-motivatation, strong work ethic, responsibility and focus. Demonstrates qualities conducive to team success such as: strong leadership, positive attitude, effective communication and coachability.
- POTENTIAL TO DEVELOP - Current performance level relative to past performance level and perceived potential to develop.
Athletes are selected by the team's respective Head Coach and Assistant Coaches in coordination with the LVC Technical Committee.
LVC High-Performance Model vs. Traditional Model
The points below have raised the level of LVC to new heights!
In line with the OVA and Volleyball Canada, our High-Performance Model is what is in the athlete's best interests long-term.
- Lead Coaches - Ensures quality consistent instruction across all LVC teams. Each "Training Cohort" (i.e. 14U Girls) has a Lead Coach that is responsible for leading practice planning, Yearly Training Plans, collaboration opportunities, positional training, etc.
- Standardized Yearly Training Plans (YTP's) - Implemented by Lead Coaches to best guide athlete development, mindful of work/rest balance and external factors (school sports, exams, etc.)
- Multi-Court Facilities - All teams will train at multi-court facilities with all teams in their cohort. This allows position-specific training and skill-specific training for the athletes.
- Physical Testing Database - To best track athlete development, it is critical to see Fire members as athletes first. Athletes that are healthy long-term is our priority. Our testing measures are age-appropriate and helps provide valuable information for athlete selection and athlete development.
- Technical Committee - To ensure athletes are selected and developed in line with LTAD principles, the LVC Technical Committee will work alongside Lead Coaches, Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches.
- Chris Lawson - Hired as LVC Pathway Coordinator, directing our Lead and Head Coaches
The Technical Committee is comprised of:
Chris Lawson (Volleyball Canada Master Coach Evaluator / Learning Facilitator)
Patrick Johnston (Performance Coach Trained)
Steve Dow (Performance Coach Trained)
Montana Woodhouse (Advanced Development Coach in Training)
Joe Wrigley (Advanced Development Coach)
- Building Capacity in Coaching - Lead Coach model provides professional development opportunities for developing Assistant Coaches through a genuine mentorship program and oversight of Yearly Training Plan (YTP's).
- CHOCC - (Carling Heights Optimist Community Centre)
656 Elizabeth Street, London ON
- NLOCC - (North London Optimist Community Centre)
1345 Cheapside Street, London ON
- Saunders Secondary School
941 Viscount Road, London ON